Search This Site
Beginner Lesson : Tangle-Free Shampooing
What we will accomplish in this lesson:
This video lesson will show you how to wash the hair to minimize tangles and excess dryness.
Learn how to:
Video Demonstration (Member's Only)
1. Rinse hair for 2-5 minutes to loosen dirt and sweat from the scalp
2. Apply a quarter amount of shampoo to the hair in section as shown in the video. Avoid piling the hair on top of your head.
3. Work hair into a gentle lather at the roots. Then, work the lather down the length of the hair.
4. Rinse and Repeat.
5. Follow with a deep conditioner.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Which shampoo should I use?
Since ethnic hair is naturally dry, a moisturizing and/or detangling shampoo is your best bet. Download the Top 10 Products for Your Hair Arsenal (Member's Only) for recommendations.
For hair that is weak or over processed, try shampoo with a protein based shampoo to improve strength and elasticity and follow with a moisturizing deep conditioner.
2. How often should I shampoo?
A good rule of thumb is to shampoo at least once every 5-7 days.
If you work out regularly, you can wash more frequently, even daily. However, to avoid drying out the hair, you can use conditioner (as you would shampoo) to wash the hair. Just remember to wash with shampoo once a week to get rid of build up. We will explore conditioner washing or "co-washing" in our Intermediate series.
3. I tried your method and my hair had a lot less tangles but I'm still having some trouble!
Not to worry, we wil go over washing the hair in sections in our Intermediate series!
Have more questions? Post them below! (You must be a member to create and view comments)